Saturday, December 23, 2017

UFO: Meme and Suggestion


               
Last night, amidst the rush of preparing for the Christmas weekend, I took a break from the planning and juggling to do the mundane and take out the trash. It was already dark, maybe an hour after sunset. Black was the night, save for one anomaly in the sky. I was home alone; the family went out for some last-minute shopping.


                
I took the picture, got some video footage and moved on – sort of. I did a quick search to see what this, apparently, glowing cloud could possibly be. Explanations afforded were aurora borealis or a summer weather anomaly that didn’t account for what I’m seeing. Precious time had been wasted so I dropped it - Christmas weekend affords the opportunity for few deviations when you need to schedule for the normal routine and the holiday tradition. The family comes home, and apparently the “clear as day UFO Sighting”, and “Alien Invasion” was on the tongue of last minute shoppers everywhere, as if the talking point was accepted as fact. At this point I hadn’t put two and two together regarding what I had seen, still distracted by the upcoming festivities. Short on answers, I asked the internet what all the fuss was about.  I searched for anything involving a UFO sighting in our general region, and came up empty.

Until headlines decided to update.
                
With the bombardment of perceived incoming UFO disclosure in the headlines, it’s on the public’s mind again. Anything unaccounted for in the sky is fair game at being called a UFO, by it’s definition: Unidentified Flying Object. Seventy years after Roswell and the vast sum of mythology and pop culture surrounding it, this definition has taken on a new cultural meaning – it’s become synonymous with extra-terrestrial craft, perhaps intentionally.
                
For most of the week, I’ve been doing some writing I have yet to make available on this very topic – exploring very earth based and much less mysterious explanations for the greater UFO mythology. I’ve withheld publication due to having no diving board to plunge into this cloudy pool; A subject I've been curious about, but never considered writing about in a public way.
                
Last night provided the introduction to bring this forward, to view the phenomenon in a different context and to introduce a subject to my writing that doesn’t fit into the discussion I’ve otherwise explored. In upcoming writings, I’ll explore very terrestrial explanations for the phenomenon and the possibility of deliberate disinformation regarding the phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment