Sunday, September 13, 2015

Selective Morality

I sure do talk a lot about gay marriage, considering my opinions on it, in and of itself, aren't very strong one way or the other. It might be wise to explain why.

Though social issues are a at best, another tool of distraction for the benefit of the State, they're useful for accomplishing agendas and setting precedents. Coercion is always the desired conclusion of the State - if it weren't then Congress, the Supreme Court, and local state agencies would be out of a job.  Not dissimilar to every other social ill that allows for coercive opportunity, Gay Marriage provides inroads for newer, bolder, and stronger flexes of power. Stay tuned, in another five, ten, twenty, or thirty years there will be another bold sweep of forcing party A to accept party B.

Now that all of that's out in the open, let's have fun.

Opposition to the SCOTUS ruling on marriage rights has escalated into open acts of defiance, even amongst the rank and file of the State.

Kim Davis, a clerk of Rowan county in Kentucky, has refused to allow her name or efforts to be allocated toward a marriage certificate for same sex couples. This had since led to her arrest, and has turned her into a martyr for opponents of same sex marriage. I can't fault someone for not wanting to participate, but why doesn't Kim want to participate?

She's an Apostolic Christian.

I am, regretfully, not savvy on the in's and out's of the finer points of Christianity as an umbrella religion, let alone the several upon several denominations found within. So I looked up what an Apostolic Christian is.

I found their Website, and took a look. I can't say that I see a lot of difference between them and any other denomination of Christianity - but as I've said, I do this with a neophyte observer's eyes.

They take the time to point out they follow the New Testament, but look to the Old Testament for guidance as well.

 Again, I'm no scholar of Christianity, particular in it's applications in a Statist society. Gary North and Laurence Vance have this corner of the boxing ring covered.

However, I do have grandparents that make Christianity the foundation and guiding principles for their lives. Much of my time spent with them usually had an integration of religious activity, so I did pick up a thing or two.

In the bible, aside from Satan himself, the characters demonized often enough, were participants in the State apparatus. King Herod, the Pharaoh, and Pontius Pilate are but a few examples. Lest we forget, Christ was crucified via State order, at the hands of Roman Soldiers.

"But America is bett--"

Ease up, I'm not done.

"SUPPORT THE TROO---"

No, seriously.

Let's not forget too, that the Apostolic Christian's look to the Old Testament for guidance as well. Nothing stands out to me more in the Old Testament than a pair of stone tablets.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder. (There are far too many for this one, at home and abroad)
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet.

There are plenty I left untouched. Nothing obvious came to mind, surprisingly so for number ten.

All this goes to say - I am not certain why Kim Davis insists that she should continue her career in this field. I would insist that she steps down, but not for the same reasons as those who share the same conclusion. She is clearly working for a very unchristian institution, that has to do very unchristian things to exist. The obvious answer would be all of the perks that come with being an agent of the state, least of all being the salary.

I understand many of the things I point out are a fault of the Federal Government, and certainly not a local government. However, local governments can, and unfortunately usually do, operate with the same degree of force as the Fed. If you disagree, let me know what happens the next time you choose not to pay your property taxes or stop for a cop in persuit of you.

Sorry Kim, I don't think you can claim the Christian high-ground when you're serving people not dissimilar to those who murdered Jesus.








No comments:

Post a Comment